Theatre / Space Design
Chicago Theatre interior, 2011 © Can Stock Photo / rabbit75can
This section is currently being developed. Please bear with us while we add content.
Anatomy of a Theatre – the different parts of a theatre building
Designing and Specifying a Space for Drama
Proscenium Arch Theatres
Arena Theatres / In-The-Round
Frank Matcham (1854 – 1920)
Legendary Victorian theatre architect and designer, who is responsible for many iconic British buildings. The Frank Matcham Society celebrates his work.
W & T.R.Milburn
William Milburn (1858 – 1935) and Thomas Ridley Milburn (1861 – 1943) became the premier theatre architectural firm in the north of England.
- Olympia, Newcastle upon Tyne (1893, Thomas Milburn, in association with Thomas Oliver & Leeson)
- Empire Palace, South Shields (1896-7, for Moss Empires, with Frank Matcham as consultant)
- Empire, Sunderland (1906)
- Union Mill, Montrose Angus, Scotland (1921)
- Coliseum Theatre Glasgow, Scotland (1922)
- Empire Palace Theatre, Edinburgh, Scotland (1927 – rebuilding of Matcham’s theatre)
- Empire Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland (1928 – internal rebuilding of Matcham’s theatre on a larger scale & alterations to the exterior)
- Empire, Southampton (1929)
- Empire Palace, South Shields (1929, major alterations)
- Empire, Glasgow (1931?1928? alterations)
- New (Apollo) Theatre, Oxford (1933, with T P Bennett)
More about the Milburn practice.
Developed a concept for the Total Theater for Erwin Piscator in 1926, which was not able to be practically realised in his lifetime. Some of the groundbreaking ideas were incorporated into the design of the New London Theatre which opened in 1973.
Walter Gropius Total Theatre 3d Visualization. from Javier Nuñez on Vimeo.
|Gala Systems |
|Theatre Projects Design [UK, USA, France, China]|