Dates: 1903 – present
Restored Edwardian Opera House, originally opened on 1 June 1903.
In 1927 it was turned into a cinema, adding sound reproduction in 1932 when the ‘talkies’ took over.
Lillian Bayliss, manager of London’s Old Vic, persisted with live theatre and brought summer festivals to Buxton in 1937 and 1939.
However, over the years the theatre fell into disrepair and was closed in 1976. In 1979 it was reopened after dedicated work by local and national groups, with an additional orchestra pit to the original Frank Matcham design.
An extensive period of restoration (internal and external) between 1999 and 2001 secured the Opera House’s future.
The Opera House has been the venue (and was the inspiration for) the Buxton International Festival since its’ inception in 1979.
Film footage from ATV Today, 30th July 1979, when the Opera House was reopening: