- Start with the text – after having prepared a rough initial from the text, meet with the director(s) to identify what elements are needed for their vision of the show.
- Make a list of the elements, and decide whether to buy, borrow, hire or make each of them (use the Props Breakdown document below)
- Discuss with your Stage Management Team as they may know of resources, or have items themselves
- Think about the overall aesthetic, especially if you are hiring some set items (which will be professionally painted) and will stand-out on an otherwise bare / un ‘designed’ stage.
- Keep track of all elements throughout the process, and ensure you keep track of any additions and deletions during the rehearsal process. Use a simple colour code to indicate if each item is sorted.
- Plan how to get the elements to the venue
- Ensure you have a plan to remove everything from the venue and return it to its’ owner!
- Props Breakdown Document (aka Props Borrow Form)
Keywords: sm borrow forms, borrow lists