Dates: 27 December 1932 – present
Official website: http://www.radiocity.com
This beautiful venue can be explored on one of the regular Stage Door Tours – your excellent guide will show you around the building (depending on production needs) and you’ll even get to meet a Rockette!
- The venue showed movies plus spectacular live stage shows featuring the Rockettes
- The house curtain weighs 4000 lbs and uses 13 motors to control it
- There are 5000 house lights, with filament bulbs coloured Red, Green, Blue and Amber (before LEDs were used for the same effect)
- The regular audience capacity is 5931 (special layouts can go up to just over 6000). It was the largest auditorium in the world at the time of opening.
- The 1999 refurbishment cost $70million and took 8 months
- The stage lift system uses a 20,000 gallon hydraulic tank. There are 4 lifts, with a capacity of 81 tonnes. They can travel 13 feet above normal stage level, and 27 feet below stage level.