Dates: 1901 – 1986 (abandoned, but still existing)
The Hulme Hippodrome, originally known as the Grand Junction Theatre and Floral Hall, opened in Preston Street, Hulme, Manchester, on 7 October 1901. It and the nearby Playhouse Theatre in Warwick Street, built at the same time, were part of the theatrical empire of W. H. Broadhead. The two venues were connected by an arcade, at the centre of which was Broadhead’s company headquarters. Initially the theatre staged mainly dramatic productions, while the Playhouse presented variety performances, but in 1905 the names and functions of the theatres were interchanged: the Hippodrome became the Grand Junction, and the variety performances were transferred to the new Hippodrome.
The Hippodrome was last used as a theatre in the 1960s; from the mid-1970s until its closure in 1988 it was used as a bingo hall. Since then most of the building has remained empty, and it has been placed on Manchester City Council’s Buildings at Risk Register.
The building was bought by Gilbert Deya Ministries in 1999, and services are held in part of the ground floor.
The Theatres Trust – Hulme Hippodrome page
Daily Mail article (14 July 2016)
Arthur Lloyd – Hulme Hippodrome