Dates: 1903 – 1960
From the Theatres Trust Database
Built in the Renaissance Style of red brick and Bath Stone by A J Bateman and designed by Wylson and Long, The Walthamstow Palace Theatre opened at the end of 1903. It had twin towers on either end of its façade and an iron and glass awning over its main entrance.
The foyer had a dado of Austrian oak, a panelled and decorated ceiling and a box office of polished walnut. To the left of the box office, a broad staircase with mosaic steps and marble walls led to the balcony and, to the left, a corridor led to the stalls. The auditorium was built on a cantilever system with a gallery above the balcony and two boxes either side of the proscenium. The original interior decoration was in cream and white with gold by Boekbinder with drapery by James Schoolbred & Co.
The auditorium was lit by both electric and gas light. The stage was fitted with a fire resistant curtain and sprinkler system. A painted act drop was designed by Cecil Hicks.
The theatre was closed in 1954 and demolished in 1960.
From The Stage Guide, 1946
Box Seats: 16
Pit Stalls: 390
Dress Circle: 352
Proscenium 30ft 4in wide, height 24ft, min depth from setting line: 25ft. Height under fly galleries: 35ft. Height of grid from stage 52ft. No counterweight gear. 35 sets hemp lines.
Footlights: 3 circuits with ind. dimmers.
Four battens, each with three circuits with ind. dimmers
Four dips with ind. dimmers.
Two spots on stands. Six floods on stands. Two f-o-h following limes.
View in Google Maps