Grand Master Board  (1931)
Strand Lighting


Grand Master


The first was installed in Halifax, second at The Shakespeare Memorial Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon. A standard board was around 56 ways. 
The largest was 130 control channels controlling 175 dimmers at he Royal Opera House in London (1934). 
One of the last to be installed was the 90 way Grand Master for the Opera House Blackpool in 1938. It was 13ft.6ins wide and 7ft.10ins high (4.1m x 2.38m) and was sited on a platform in the prompt corner. Two operators were usually necessary. 
The Grand Master at the Bristol Hippodrome was installed in 1948 and in regular use until it was replaced by a Duet in 1980 (see journal article 'Farewell Old Friend' for full details)

Related Venues:


Documents

Photo: Grand Master Switchboard (Unknown Location)
Photo: Grand Master Switchboard (Unknown Location) 
Click on thumbnail to enlarge
[700kb  JPEG]
From Frederick Brown Collection

1945 Strand Catalogue - Control (August 1945)
[1.4Mb ]
From Strand Archive

1945 Strand Catalogue - Control (August 1945)
[1.2Mb ]
From Strand Archive

1945 Strand Electric Brochure (December 1945)
[543kb ]
From Jim Laws Collection

1953 Theatrical Lighting - Control (1953)
Some typical dimmer board installations - Grand Master
[516kb ]
From Bob Anderson Collection

Exhibits in the Backstage Heritage Collection


Journal Entries for Grand Master Board in the Backstage Heritage Collection


Back to Control - Direct (Strand Lighting)